Sunday, August 19, 2007

It has been about 20 years since I had a yard sale....and then again, I've only had 2 before this one. They are very fun to go to, but not my idea of fun to have. BUT....it ended up being lots of fun! Our family is planning a church history tour next summer and I thought doing this would be a good way to help the cause. Richard did a great job on the signs, don't you think? I was up until 2AM Friday morning getting things separated and priced. We used 6 card tables, 2 sheets of plywood(put on top of sawhorses), some shelves from Joshs room and I even put a piece of board on top of a big rubbermaid container to put stuff on. Richard found a plank that was about 7 or 8 feet long and we put it on top of some bricks and put shoes on it. My neighbor even had a round rack to put clothes on. This picture was taken on Saturday after we were done (Not Sunday like it says)The next picture was taken in the garage in the wee hours Friday , but I didn't remember to get one with everything put out in the driveway. Sorry so dark!!!
I began cleaning things out in June and my pile kept growing. We had just donated alot of stuff to the young women for their garage sale, so I really didn't think I would have much. By the time I got done, I had alot of stuff I could live without. I had a little bit of alot of stuff....crafts, fabrics, clothes, jewlery, lotions and perfumes, kitchen stuff, coloring books and a few books and games. I had decorating stuff like shelves, mirrors, silk flowers. We had a dog run, dog house (Lady never would use them....she stays inside mostly), canning jars, shoes....you get the drift! It is AMAZING what people will buy. I had my old earrings on on index cards, like 4 pair per card and old necklaces in baggies...they sold out in NO TIME!!
Oh, Richard was worried about me being alone taking care of the money, so we decided it would be a good idea to use a pouch. I actually used 2....one had bills and quarters in it and the other I used for nickels and dimes and paper, pen and tape.
I put really cheap prices on things. I walked around visiting with people. I placed an ad in the paper for Friday only because I wasn't sure how it would go and I didn't want to be tied down for 2 days if I didn't want to. I also put it on Craigs list.....a first for me. As it was we did do it Saturday, but we just put our signs up again for that day (Since our signs were generic). I must say I was totally exhausted Saturday night with all this yard sale stuff AND doing Josh's room. We were very blessed to have such a sucessful sale. I KNOW Heavenly Father wants us to go on this trip! The weather had called for rain, but we woke up to clear skies on Friday morning.

4 comments:

Debi said...

I'm so glad you posted about your garage sale!!! Now, 1) Did you sell a lot of stuff....2)Did a lot of people come.....3)How much money did you make?....4) Are you going to donate your leftovers to a thrift store?....and 5) Did you sell a great big wheeled suitcase (I have been looking for those at garage sales and thrift stores....)and if so, how much did you price it for?

Shelly's Space said...

1) I sold alot of stuff
2) It was pretty steady as far as people go, so yes alot of people came
3) I made about 275.00 after expenses (newspaper ad, supplies)
4) Yes, I've packed up the leftovers to take to Deseret Industries
5) Sorry, no great big wheeled suitcase

Kristie said...

Wow! It looks like you had a lot of stuff!!! I am glad to hear that the sake went to well!!!! I loved seeing the picture of all the stuff!!!

Amanda said...

That's amazing:) You have tons of energy too!!!!