Saturday, July 26, 2008

WINTER QUARTERS NEBRASKA AND HOWARD EGAN

We drove to Kansas City Missouri from Jamesport, where we stayed put for the rest of our trip (hotel wise). We then took several day trips to places we wanted to see. The first day we drove to Winter Quarters Nebraska, now known as Omaha. When the Saints were driven from Nauvoo after the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith at Carthage Illinois they had plans to go to the Utah Valley. But they were forced to leave in February instead of May like they planned and the weather was just too harsh. The indians had also been driven west and a deal was made for about 3,000 saints to stay outside of Council Bluffs Iowa in Indian territory for 2 years. Here the saints were able to prepare for their journey westward. But, the first winter was very harsh and many died.The Winter Quarters Temple is on the site where a memorial to those who died stands. There is also a pioneer cemetery on the property.
This monument is depicting parents who have buied a child in the cold harshness of the winter. On site is also an inlaid plaque with the names of those who died. Richard had 2 relatives who died here. Of the 300 who are known to have died, one half were children under the age of 3.
Across the street from the Temple is the Mormon visitors center. This statue represents the handcarts that were built and left from here.
Inside the visitors center it tells the story of the pioneers at Winter Quarters. There were several displays that had quotes from Howard Egans journal. Howard was one of the original 144 pioneers who crossed the plains with Brigham Young.I wanted to buy some postcards from Nebraska. As we were leaving, a few blocks away I saw an LDS bookstore I thought might have some. I ran in and quickly found the postcards, and just as I was getting ready to walk out I saw this poster with Pioneering the West written on it. That is the name of Howard Egans journal. We have many copies of it at our house....many papers and even a disertation has been written about it. Lo and behold, as I got closer, the poster WAS Howard's journal. It has been published again and is for sale at this bookstore. It was sold out, but I had Richard and the boys come in to see it. It was very fun and exciting!!!

2 comments:

Debi said...

All of the pictures look so familiar. I think that the Temple was under construction when we were there (or maybe just remodeling, I don't remember). We went all through the cemetery looking at all the headstones. We took pictures everywhere just like you, of the statues and everything inside,too. I liked the replica of the house and also the bunk beds that were in the ship cabins. We layed down in them to get a feel for the whole thing. I loved going to all the church history sites! I'm glad you got to see them, too. :)

Michelle said...

Shelly, you did a great job posting on your trip! I loved it - it brought back so many memories for me. Thanks!!