Tuesday, August 05, 2008

ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE....

Last week, while most people I know were perspiring from the extreme heat, I was snug and cozy in my layers of thermals and sweatshirts up the Washougal River at Girls Camp. It was fun singing songs and doing skits. I learned how to cook in a dutch oven AND a box oven.....amazing!!! It was my first time ever at camp and it was a great experience. In spite of the fact that just getting there was an experience in itself (Debi...you would not have liked it)...it was a beautiful camp. The theme "All the World's a Stage" taught the girls that they can be who they are and that they can write their own story of how their life will be.
On our free time we went canoeing on this lake. There was also swimming, repelling, hiking, a waterfall, and of course crafts in the craft shack. I spent 2 days getting my first year certification so I could get my beads. Have you ever heard of lashing?? I never had, and I meant to get a picture of all the cool things the girls lashed together, including a kitchen area.
This is where we slept.....on the 2 days that it rained (the rest of the time is was beautiful and warm)....these tarps were all leaking. At 10PM one night we were scrambling to cover them with more tarps.....and just when we thought all was fine, it started pouring on our 4th night and continued all day Friday. We were so thankful for the Priesthood, who took such good care of us by keeping things going....the water, the generators, etc... But, it didn't deter the girls.....they were out in the rain all day Friday having Jamboree....where they rotate stations doing team building activities. Testimony meeting on Friday night was an emotional time for many of the girls. While I missed my family, it was a good week and I learned alot just being there.

4 comments:

Debi said...

Once again I ask myself...."WHY do you live in Texas?" As I sit here sweltering in the heat, you are living in the most beautiful place on earth! Well, we DO have pretty clouds here.... Your Young Women's camp looked like a lot of fun in spite of the rain. :)

Shelly's Space said...

I'm glad there is one redeemable thing in Texas (pretty clouds)....hee hee:)

Kristie said...

It sure is BEAUTIFUL there!!! It looks like a wonderful place to be. I am glad to hear that you had a good time at girls camp.

Amanda said...

That middle picture looks like a postcard!