Sunday, August 31, 2008

Getting Things Ready......

I have been a bit weepy all week.....getting Jon ready for college. Today was a downright cryfest for me. I cried all during sacrament meeting....especially the songs. The talks were wonderful which kept my mind occupied, but as soon as the singing started again, so did my tears. I know Jon thinks I'm a nutsy mom, but I can't help it!! As he sat next to me singing in his deep bass voice, it hit me knowing next week I won't be hearing it. I blame Richard really....on the way to church he said something about us losing our pew since next week there will only be 3 of us. It's not like I haven't gone through this before with Jenny, and I know it will happen again in 4 years with Josh, but it is how it is.It's been fun buying food for Jon. He'll have a meal ticket since he's in a non cooking dorm....but he'll have a microwave and microfridge, so we stocked him up for those in between meals and the days he doesn't want to eat out. We got alot of canned good like ravioli and soups and stews. They even make cute little microwavable mac and cheese bowls. He tried different foods to make sure he would like them and we bought them when he did.
Then, like when Jenny went to college, there is the stuff like towels, laundry and dish soap, hand soap, contact lense solution....you name it we got it. I stocked him up for the entire year on deodorant and shampoo and body wash. I filled the plastic drawers with pencils, pens, paper clips and post it notes. Jon and I filled pill bottles with quarters for the laundry. He's got all school supplies and bedding he will ever need:)And finally....how could he live without his cereal???? He told me he won't need a meal ticket if he just has his cereal:) He's going to put it in his suitcase under his bed (in case you were wondering where he will put it all:)
I am so excited for Jon to start his life's adventure, knowing that in January he will begin the process of putting in his mission papers. But for now, I have all the memories of his childhood flashing before me and I cry tears of happiness of years past:)

7 comments:

Kristie said...

It looks like you have him all ready to go. I hope that Jon has a good school year. And don't worry, its alright to cry. :)

Shelly's Space said...

Thanks Kristie:)

Rene said...

Thanks, now you've got me tearing up! Partly for you and partly because I know it isn't far off for me with Austin...I'll be so sad!
Side note: Thanks for the nice gift you gave Arianne. We went to my mom and dad's today and my mom gave it to her. She's sleeping with the super soft blanket right now! That was sweet of you!

Debi said...

How did time fly so fast??? Life is like a dream.... Jon will love being at school. He is a wonderful young man. I know you will miss him (you'll get used to it, though). Thanks for showing me all of his "stuff." Looks like you've got him all ready to roll. :)

Amanda said...

I would be crying too! It's exciting but bittersweet I am sure........

Jenny Jensen said...

i can't believe jon is going to COLLEGE!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!! HE'S GOING TO BE SO MUCH CLOSER!!!!!!

Michelle said...

I'm late posting this, but this made me a little sad. It's hard when kids leave. I've had a few leave, come home, leave, come home etc... I know someday they will all be gone though. :(