Thursday, January 25, 2007

Crazy Hat Day

Well, it wasn't really intended to be crazy hat day....it was actually a birthday tea put on at work on Thursday. Once a month different classrooms take turns doing a luncheon/birthday celebration for that months staff birthdays. This month we were to get out our favorite hats...or make one to celebrate. Finger sandwiches and tea was served. I was going to wear my Minnie Mouse hat from Disneyland, but when I got to work my morning class teacher wanted us to have the kids decorate butcher paper so we could make hats. It was actually a great opportunity for the kids to use some fine motor skills. We had them draw people, trace their hands, use bingo dobbers, and otherwise use markers to draw. Some of our morning kids are further along than the others, so some did more. We have several that can't sit for more than 1-2 minutes, but they did great. I wish we had taken a picture of the 3 of us....teacher Kari and the other staff assistant Sarah. They're both single moms pretty youngish....very nice to work with. We all decorated our hats in different ways. I put tissue paper flowers on mine....Sarah had diapers and picture schedules, paintbrushes, and baby wipes on hers. Kari put die cuts and pipe cleaners. There were lots of hats worn, but ours were definitley the most school spirited ones. By the way, the logo of our school are hands painted the primary colors....which we put on our hats. This is my hat.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Great idea:) Using the bingo Markers is something I've never thought of! I love your hat...but how did you shape it and get it to stay on your head?

Debi said...

Yes, How DID you get it to stay on your head??? It is a very colorful hat, definitely in the spirit of a pre-school class! I'm so excited to see you posted a new blog entry. Little Ellie needs to grow longer fingers! I like your tissue paper flower!

Shelly's Space said...

It was just shaped around a round bucket and taped. It looked silly on me, but we were just having fun.

Little Ellie is just that....really little. She's the smallest child at the school and very adorable!!

Debi said...

As I once said, it is your babysitting job...... :)

Kristie said...

Very cute hat!! It is really sweet looking and I love the flowers on it!!