Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The MTC (Missionary Training Center)

It was a great day!!We drove to Orem and had breakfast at the I-Hop with our missionary. Chris and his girlfriend Mary, LaDena, Jenny and Logan all joined us. The restaurant was packed with families taking thie sons and daughters to the MTC. Breakfast is free for all missionaries on the day they enter the MTC.

There were people directing the traffic once we arrived and Elder Egan unloaded his luggage where he was directed to a place to drop it off while Richard parked the car.
Then we all walked over to where the new missionaries entered to get their badges and sign in. We went through a door to the right that said "families of new missionaries".
The mom's got to put the badges on our missionaries. I was a bit teary eyed trying to do it:)
The little orange circle is what all new missionaries keep on their badges for awhile....it means "new missionary." The MTC is packed with missionaries (I'll give some MTC trivia we learned another day)...and they don't want to loose them:)
We were able to take pictures in the lobby, but as we went for an orientation type thing, all cameras and phones were to be turned off, since it was in a dedicated chapel where we met. While everyone filed in to sit down, they played some of the little video ads that are run on TV to advertise the church. Then there were some speakers and we sang "Called to Serve"..... a real tear jerker:) After a closing prayer we said our goodbyes and families went one way....and the missionaries went the other way. It was very sweet to see all the little brothers and sisters of the missionaries crying....mom's were crying....dad's were crying. My missionary gave us all hugs and off he went. We cried a little, but we were so happy for him to have this experience that we tried to be strong.
I saved my tears for outside ......I couldn't resist being silly in front of the MTC sign and Jenny caught me on camera. I'm sad of course, but very happy Jon is doing exactly what he wanted to do since he was 16 and went on a mini mission to Hermiston Oregon. Now it's the real thing and he is prepared. We love you Elder Egan!!!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay---That made me teary eyed just reading it:( I know it is such a wonderful experience...but as a Mom I am pretty sure I'll cry anyway.

Debi said...

Jon is off for the best two years of his life and one more little bird has flown out of your nest. I love all the pictures! You are so silly, but it is so YOU (that picture of you pretending to cry in front of that sign) :)

Thompson Tales said...

I am so excited for Jon, he is going to love his mission!! How are you now, after you left the MTC?

Kristie said...

I am glad to hear that it was a good day and a wonderful send off! Jon looked very official in those pictures!!!!

Rene said...

Thanks for sharing it all with us! I'm so thankful for Jon's example to my kids! I'm glad your trip went well. And how fun that you got to see Jenny, Logan, Chris and LaDena!