Friday, February 01, 2008

We're On Our Way!!!

Today I took the plunge and bought the tickets for our summer vacation. We've been planning this since last summer. I have a hard time making decisions, but I couldn't put it off any longer. Airline prices went up last week and it looked like we would have to pay alot more. BUT....I kept checking and by leaving a day earlier and staying a day later we got the bare bones price!! We will fly to Newark, NJ and spend 3 days touring New York City. As a suprise for the boys, we will see a New York Yankees game at Yankee Stadium. We'll go to Ellis Island, a must for my family history buff husband, see the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, the New York Temple and shop at Times Square. We'll ride a subway and take a tour bus around the city and see Ground Zero and the UN Building. The 4th day we will begin our Church History tour by driving to Palmyra NY. We will stop in Fayette where the church was organized and then on to Palmyra where we will go to The Sacred Grove and attend the Hill Cummorah Pageant. (I meant to blog the picture of the Sacred Grove here, but just realized this is Joseph getting the gold plates from the Angel Moroni.) OOPS!!
Day 6 will take us to Niagara Falls and on to Kirtland, Ohio.
Day 8 we will drive 10 hours to Nauvoo Ill. where we will spend 3 days seeing so many special sites and driving to Carthage. We will attend the Nauvoo Pageant. Day 11 takes us 6 hours to Council Bluffs Iowa where we will spend the night after going to Winter Quarters Nebraska.
Our final trek will be to Far West, Gallatin, and Independence MO. where we will see Libery Jail and The Community of Christ Visitors Center and the Independence Visitors Center where my brother and Sister in law served their mission. We should have some time to go to Jamesport MO an Amish community near there. In all we will be gone for 15 days, flying across the country then driving 1900 miles, flying home from Kansas City MO. It will be a wonderful preparation for the boys to serve their missions, especially Jon who will be going next year.

5 comments:

Jenny Jensen said...

I feel gypped!! I would have loved to go on a church history tour!

Shelly's Space said...

I feel gypped too...........Mexico TWICE in one year AND Disneyland AND Vancouver (well at least you had to fly here:))
And remember you got to go to New York TWICE in high school!
(aren't I sympathetic?)hee hee!!
You and Logan will have to plan a trip there.....hey why don't you mention it to the Jensen clan....you could make it a family vacation:)

Amanda said...

WOW--that sounds like an amazing trip:) I have always wanted to see NYC, but I doubt i would go on many trips even if I had the money b/c I am such a homebody!

Kristie said...

Sounds like a great trip!!! I hope that you guys have fun. We want to go see the church sites sometime in the near future since we live so close to all of them!!!!

Debi said...

I can't believe you are taking such a BIG trip!!! You will be dead tired!! I am not worried about the kids, but you and Richard.....Well, let's just hope you guys will have enough energy! :)