Thursday, April 03, 2008

SPRING BREAK PART 2

Today we decided to drive up to Mt. Hood in Oregon. The weather has been beautiful. Josh has been begging us to go up to the mountain for months and it's supposed to start raining this weekend. Jon left this morning for Salt Lake. The priests and Laurels have gone with the Bishopric to conference. The trip has been planned as well as any band or choir tour I have seen. They will have a wonderful experience!!Mt. Hood is about a 90 minute drive from Vancouver. This first picture is taken from Timberline lodge elevation 6000 ft. The top of Mt. Hood is 11,245ft. Vancouver is near sea level and we can see the mountain in it's majesty from home. But here, we just see the summit. It is BEAUTIFUL!!
Most all of the ski lifts are only open on weekends now, but we found this spot at Government camp where they rented tubes. Josh and I had a blast! It was very warm....I had dressed in every layer imaginable, but shed layers as the day wore on. I didn't even need a hat or gloves, it was so warm.
After spending a few hours there, we found out there was a place we could take our sled. Sleds were prohibited at the tubing place....this is at a place called Snow Bunny. There were some great hills and we spent several hours sledding, wiping out, and enjoying the warm sun.
Richard finally decided that bad back or not, he wanted in on the fun. He was an excellent sled driver. He made it down 3 times as smooth as ice. After we got to the car we ate the Subway sandwiches we bought and had in our cooler.....The drive home was breathtaking. It was a grand day!!!

3 comments:

Kristie said...

The mountain is BEAUTIFUL!!!! What a fun time. I want to go too!! Sledding is so much fun. There is no snow on the mountains close by here anymore....or at least I think. There were none where we visited, but they weren't nearly that high up. It sounds as if you guys had a fun Spring Break.

Debi said...

I remember how fun it was tubing at Timberline Lodge when I was a girl! Looks like you guys had a blast!! I wish WE had a mountain 90 minutes away! I'm glad Richard didn't hurt himself. :) ....now I'm going to go try that word verification thingy...it always takes me 2 times to get it right....

Amanda said...

NOw that looks FUN!!!!!