Thursday, April 03, 2008

SPRING BREAK PART 1

I've finally gotten wise enough to blog in the right order. We are on spring break this week. Since we are taking a massive trip this summer, we ned to stay close to home for now. But....we've had a great week thus far. Last week we had some snow and hail to kick off our break. These are my daffodils out front just as it was hailing.We have Flat Stanley visiting us from Utah...our grandson Terran sent him to visit us. We have been showing him a grand time....so we take him places with us. (More about Stanley later...he's going home tomorrow.) Tuesday we went to Ft. Vancouver....which was the headquarters for the Hudsons Bay Company (British) beginning in the 1830's, which embraced present day British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Eventually it became American soil and by 1860 the Hudsons By company moved out of the Fort. By 1866 fire and decay had destroyed all the structures. Starting in 1947 archeologists have excavated the site of the original fort, recovering almost 2 million artifacts. The fort has been being reconstructed in it's original spot since 1966 and is a work in progress. It is a very popular site to visit in the Northwest. This is the actual fort, but the park is very large and on the 4th of July tens of thousands of people come down here to watch the largest fireworks west of the Mississippi.
As you can see, Stanley got in all the pictures. Joshua brought his friend Austin along with us. They had a great time. These are some cannons....you can see some of the fort in the background. During different holidays there are events here. At Christmas they have a candlelight tour and volunteers are dressed up in period costumes giving tours. There is a working blacksmith shop, a bakehouse, a trading post, a fur warehouse, a hospital, a carpenter shop, a jail and the home of Dr. John McLoughlin who was the head of the Company.
The 1845 Bastion was built to protect the fort...the top floor (3 stories high) held 8 cannons. The fort was never attacked, and the cannons were mainly used to return the salutes of passing ships on the Columbia river....which parallels the fort.
And finally....this is the oldest apple tree in the northwest. It is very old and the leaves have not come on yet. There is a great walkway that goes from just next to the tree (close to the waterfront of the Columbia River), across the freeway and over to the fort. We had a very fun afternoon!!

9 comments:

Kristie said...

Great pictures and it sounds like a wonderful time. That apple tree has more leaves on it than any of the trees around here!! :) How crazy that you got snow and hail. I sure hope that it isn't headed this way...... :)

Debi said...

That was some SERIOUS hail there....tiny...but a lot of it! I love your flowers. The old apple tree is looking pretty scraggley there and so sad with all those highways behind it. I remember when it was just a tree standing beside the road and the road was not very crowded, either. The tree was a lot healthier looking back in those days. I have never been to Fort Vancouver. I guess they were just rebuilding it when we were moving here. How come you haven't taken me there when I came to visit?? Melissa is going to conference Sunday afternoon session....will Jon still be there then??

Debi said...

Can somebody tell me why they have a little person sitting in a wheelchair by the word verification box??? I feel handicapped because it takes me several trys sometimes. the code down there looks like eggldo... what's an eggldo...it is like a hairdo?

Debi said...

Oh, by the way, you would have been a lot better protected from that big hailstorm if you hadn't cut down that tree....why did you have to get the poor stump in there to remind me??? Also, I wanted to say Joshua looks very cute and I know that Flat Stanley had an exciting spring break :)

Debi said...

You should have told everybody that Johnny Appleseed was supposed to have planted that tree!!!

Shelly's Space said...

The part about Johnny Appleseed is a myth.........by the way, my Jon is going to all the sessions of conference there, whether or not they are all in the conference center I'm not sure, but they are going to have a picnic lunch on Temple Square on Sunday afternoon. They're having a testimony meeting at a stake center Sunday night and heading for home on Monday morning. He'll miss a day of school, but that's okay. I'll call him early before conference and tell him to be on the lookout for Melissa. Maybe he'll get to meet Austin:)....Sorry you have such a hard time with the word verification. I'm not sure about the little wheelchair.

Debi said...

Well, I guess they didn't see each other. Melissa's is already on her way back to Rexburg. I can't BELIEVE that they told us a myth all those years--how do they know Johnny Appleseed didn't plant that tree??? Oh, the word verification is no problem....I just like to be silly by complaining....I thought I sounded so funny:)

Shelly's Space said...

You know....I only talked to Jon one time since he's been gone....he is not big on calling me during trips....and I forgot to tell him to look for Melissa. Silly me!! I hope she had a wonderful time. Being there with all the Saints and General Authorities is such a testimony builder. I'm so grateful he had this opportunity to feel the spirit. Josh reminded us today about when we went to Salt Lake for conference in 1974. We were waiting in line on Temple Square in hopes to get tickets into the conference center, when a lady walked up to us out of the blue and asked if we were family of
5. We told her yes, and she handed us 5 tickets into that session. It was a testimony to our entire family that the Lord was mindful that we were there and we knew that we were supposed to be!!

Shelly's Space said...

OOPS!! I guess nobody saw this after I wrote that we went to conference in 1974................WHAT was I thinking???? I mean 2004!!!!