Monday, March 26, 2007

Music is Playing Inside My Head.....



One of my favorite songs was written by Carole King. It's in my brain....just like the music.
Music is playing inside my head
Over and over and over again,
My friend,there's no end to the music.

Ah, summer is over
But the music keeps playing
And won't let the cold get me down.

Pictures are forming inside my brain
Soon with the colors they'll rain together and grow
Then don't you know, don't you know there'll be music

Ah, it's not always easy
But the music keeps playing
And won't let the world get me down.


This past weekend was full of music. On Saturday we spent the day at a high school percussion/color guard competition. Josh has been involved in our high schools percussion group for middle schoolers. It's the only one around here, so they went to perform and compete (although there were no others in their division). They won a trophy. They dressed all in black with blue gloves to be like "The Blue Man Group"
(I'd never heard of them). Josh plays the marimba. It was a very fun filled day. Josh had a great time. He will perform again Friday and Saturday, then he will be finished with percussion until next year.
Jon went to Tacoma Washington (near Seattle) on Thursday and spent 4 days practicing with the 2007 All State Band. It was a jump out of his comfort zone. The only one from our school to go, he rode on a district bus with 7 other kids from Vancouver that he had never met. He roomed with 5 guys from around the state. I would have been petrified, but in preparation for his mission he thought it was great going someplace where he didn't know anyone.

8 comments:

Kristie said...

Sounds like a very exciting weekend!! I just love music stuff. Can't wait till my kids are big enough to be in band!!

Shelly's Space said...

I don't understand why the pictures are not on here. They were this morning. I'm just not good at this blogging stuff. Any help out there is appreciated on what to do.

Debi said...

Don't ask me....Steven might be able to help you if he looks at this. I'm not sure how many things he looks at.

Kristie said...

The pictures were there when I saw it but they aren't there now!!! I don't know how to help you!! Sorry!!

Amanda said...

The pictures are here:) What great kids you've got! I think it is kind of interesting that your kids and Debi's kids all got into band stuff....but you guys did not grow up being musical.....did you????

Shelly's Space said...

(I figured out how to edit and re add my pics).....Amanda....Debi played the clarinet for a few years....We didn't do band more because of our home life, but our mom sang to us alot when we were kids and we always sang songs that she taught us. I think that gave us a love of music that stuck with us. I spent hours as a teen in my room listening to music. We always encouraged the kids towards the music because it's proven that kids who are involved in music do better in school. All my kids play the piano. Jenny did band until 8th grade and then sang in several choirs all through high school. We listen to music alot around here. We sing a hymn every day before scripture reading and Jon loves to sit and play the hymns on the piano. Heavenly Father has certainly blessed our home with music.

Debi said...

Hey Shelly, I love the pictures....you figured it out!!! You are a very smart sister!

Debi said...

Amanda, Shelly COPIES me!!! My kids were in band so her kids were in band :) No, actually, Shelly is quite musical herself. She is a very good singer (way better than me...I just LOVE to sing...she can actually sing). She didn't want to play an instrument, though. I played clarinet from 5th through 8th grade. I didn't play in high school because when we moved to Texas it was all so strange and I wasn't sure about it, so I just quit. My mom didn't care because she didn't really know about it either (she didn't play an instrument). I have always regretted that I gave it up.