Sunday, October 20, 2013

On Our Way......

June, Melanie, Yvette and I headed out at 1:00 Thursday afternoon. My car was PACKED to the brim with our luggage and goodies for all our kids. We drove and drove until somewhere in the Blue Mountains of Oregon....I think it was Baker City. We filled up the gas tank and stopped for dinner at Subway...which was attached to the gas station.
We arrived at Twin Falls Idaho around 11pm....we lost an hour just before we reached the Idaho border. We had a fun nite at June's son Steven's house (Steve and Jenny graduated together)....sleeping in their very spacious basement. I was awakened the next morning by my sweet little Sadie Mae who was calling me from her home in Utah. We had a nice visit with Steve's wife Emily and their little boy Colton...Junes grandson. She was so happy to see him.

Since all of our kids were either in class or at work and most of them wouldn't be free until late afternoon, we went to lunch with Steve, Emily and Colton....to Cafe Rio. Lunch was yummy!
Here we are 4 carefree and happy women....excited to be on the road together. After lunch we were on our way again.....
Idaho is certainly is NOT a picture of loveliness like the Pacific Northwest....but it did have it's own kind of beauty. We were in awe of these wind turbines....which are plentiful in eastern Oregon and Washington as well....but we got so close to them in Idaho. They are HUGE!!! I forgot to mention that somewhere along the Blue Mountains the night before, my check engine light had come on. Lucky for us it was off this next morning and we were going along just peachy. Just before Pocatello, when we stopped at a rest stop, my car was a bit slow to start. Was it my imagination??

The gas tank was nearing empty and would not allow us to get all the way to Rexburg, so we were forced to stop for gas in Pocatello. As I went to start the car after filling up, my imagination became reality, when the car would not start. I immediately said "PRAYER!!" Right there I petitioned the Lord for help to get us to Rexburg so we could at least be with our kids and find someone to look at my car. Our prayers were answered....the car started! But as we were driving I had the thought to have one of the mom's with a smart phone to look up the nearest Hyundai dealer in Idaho Falls.....30 miles from Rexburg and our kids. THANK GOODNESS for smart phones....they are very handy to have!! We were able to get right into the dealer, by now it was around 3:00pm. They knew immediately that it was a small part in the starter. Good news...they could fix it since it was still under warranty...bad news, they would overnight the part and we could be on our way Monday afternoon. Meaning, we would all have to take an extra day off work.
Yvette knows me well....me and my camera. She told me to hold onto my car and act very sad....don't I look pathetic??? This dealership was AMAZING!!
Not only did they fix my car for FREE...they gave us a loaner car...a very expensive $32,000. loaner car with seat warmers that was fun to drive. They took care of us so fast we were on the road in less than an hour and arrived in Rexburg in time for all the kids to get home from work. So sad....we were going to be forced to spend an extra day with our kids. Stay tuned.....

1 comment:

Debi said...

Hey! Was a fun, interesting, informative post! :) Sorry to hear about your car problems.... :( I can't wait to hear about the next leg of your trip, Sis.