Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Traditions and More.......

I know you have all been waiting for me to post more of my Christmas memories...
For the past 16 or so years we have a special little tree that we set up in a corner on December 1st. Around it are 24 wrapped Christmas books and each night in December(before Christmas) the kids choose a book to unwrap and we read it together. Each year I add a new book and the kids always try to find it right away. Of course, it isn't such an easy thing to do because the books are put away the rest of the year and one tends to forget which book is which after a year has gone by. When all the kids were at home they would take turns opening one....searching hard to find the newest addition. Now it is just Josh....but still he loves opening the books...and true to form he only took about a week to find this years book..... Josies Gift...a sweet story about a girl, a blue sweater, and the true meaning of Christmas. All in all we have over 60 books. Santa books, nativity stories....paperbacks and hardbacks alike are always fun to read together as a family.
I love this plate. I have it proudly displayed in my kitchen...it was made with love by my missionary when he was 8 years old.
And THIS is my husband sporting his very special sweatshirt, made especially for him by my Aunt Adele. You see cousin Jane made all the women in our family red sweatshirts like this and we have been known to wear them to our annual "Esther Drew Memorial Scrabble Tournament" in December. Apparently Richard was whining last year how HE didn't have a sweatshirt.....Santa didn't bring HIM one. The other day Aunt Adele brought a package over....apparently Santa wanted him to have one after all. Thanks Aunt Adele....you are amazing!

3 comments:

Debi said...

I love your traditions post! You have such great ideas. It is so nice that Joshua still likes to read the books with you. You have done so many fun things with your kids. And isn't it nice for Aunt Adele to make Richard a Santa shirt? We are so blessed. :)

Debi said...

PS and WHEN do you find time to wrap 25 presents????

Kristie said...

Great traditions! We also do the books for Christmas because my mom started that for us many years ago! I am sorry to say that I don't get to wrapping them, but I do place them on the tree that is now in our formal dining room and we rotates who gets to pick them out to read each night. I do love that tradition and so do the kiddos!! Thanks for the new post! I enjoyed it!