Monday, January 18, 2010

Esther Drew Memorial Scrabble Tournament

Earlier this month we had the 5th annual Esther Drew Memorial Scrabble Tournament. For those of you who didn't know Grandma Drew, she passed away shortly before her 99th birthday, and she was an avid Scrabble player. She liked Yahtzee and Boggle as well, and would always get us to play a game or 2 when we would go to visit her. SO....in her honor, whether we're very good players or or not, the family gathers to remember her around her birthday time.
We have some very competitive people in our family....and of course some very smart ones too. In the end whoever is hosting for the year (this year it was Cousin David and his wife Sara)... usually does something fun for prizes. Cousin Tom was the Grand prize winner this year (he's an MIT graduate...no wonder). Cousin David (center with his son Carson) and my step Mom Rose and brother David were winners as well. Rose is holding the picture of Grandma Drew that we display each year to honor her.There was a little friendly competition going on between Josh and Aunt Sue. Josh was using his I POD dictionary and Aunt Sue was wondering if that was allowed....in the end no hard feelings:)
Cousin Jane regaled us with stories of her recent trip to China. What an experience!!! She has a friend who teaches there and she was able to go along with her and even teach a lesson or 2 herself.
There were about 18 of us there.....here's cousin Neal showing us his scorecard (he beat me) And last of all....I am the posessor of Grandmas Coffee can. Grandma would bake her infamous Snickerdoodle cookies and place them in this can which would be lined with wax paper. So each year I make snickerdoodles (and sometimes peanut butter...another favorite she would make for us) and fill the can to share with my family as we remember how much Grandma touched our lives.

5 comments:

Rene said...

That's awesome! I love to play Scrabble! Michelle and I played all the time when she lived here. What a great family tradition you have going! I'm not so sure I would want to play against an MIT grad though!

Debi said...

Thanks for posting the pictures! I wish I had been there. We have a great family. Is that a REAL Grandma Drew coffee can...or a replica? :)

Shelly's Space said...

Well, from what I understand it's Grandma's.

Kristie said...

What a great tradition to be keeping year after year! I enjoyed seeing the pictures of this year's tournament!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.