Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas and more........


Christmas this year was pretty quiet. We missed Grandpa Drew and Grandpa Cameron and Christmas wasn't be the same without them. Our usual Christmas Eve at the Allens was postponed due to Marilyns being in the hospital with the swine flu. We felt so bad for her....SO, we spent a quiet evening with Grandma Cameron (my mom) watching Christmas videos and eating pizza. With Jenny and Jon both gone, Josh is indulged in just a bit more these days. The older ones say he is "spoiled"....as well it should be since he's stuck with us!!(hee hee)

I LOVE my new nativity!! Last year Audrey from work gave me the shepherd and animals from a set she had extra of...and this year she and my boss Carollee gave me the rest of the set for Christmas!! I put it in the entryway for everyone to see:)
Every year on the first of December, I set up a little tree in the corner of the living room with 25 wrapped books. Then, each day of December we count down by opening a book and reading it each night. The kids would always take turns, but the past few years, Josh gets to do it every day. I add a new book (or 2) every year. We have over 50 Christmas books that we love to read!

We went to Thorntons to get our tree....Josh is the lucky one to cut it down by himself now.

We talked for about 45 minutes to our favorite missionary....he's doing great!! Said he's gained like 15 pounds and when asked how many ties he has, he told me he has 2 more than the tie rack we sent him for Christmas (that holds 24 ties...hence 26 ties are in his collection). He was having a "white" Christmas, but nothing like Arctic Blast 2008 which we had LAST Christmas here at home!! He's loving the work and just hearing his voice made my heart HAPPY!! Though, he did say I was probably the only mom who hung up on her missionary when he called.....(when I was trying to take the phone off of loudspeaker because he couldn't hear us I accidentally hung it up...OUCH!!)
One of Josh's presents was this memory box I made for him from his cub scout days...
I'm supposed to look like I'm exercising with my new wii fit board. Instead I look like I'm cheering....either way, I was very excited to get it!!
Josh is STILL giving it his best shot....and one of these days he WILL beat his Dad at arm wrestling. Keep trying Josh....you'll be there in no time!!
I couldn't resist this picture of Mom and I with our sock feet! We are so in style!!

MY brother Ron and his kids (Ashley was there too...but left before this picture) and girlfriend Tami came for Christmas dinner.......It was a very nice day. .....I'm so thankful for my family.













4 comments:

~ My 3 sOnS ~ said...

Christmas definatly wasnt the same this year with my mom being sick:( Im glad you had a nice one though!!! I love the Christmas book thing....what a great way to get in the spirit of the season!! Maybe I will start doing that with my kids, I will have to invest in some new books but it will be fun:)

Rene said...

I'm jealous of your Wii Fit. I think it looks like fun! Christmas just wasn't the same this year but it was sure nice to see you guys tonight! You really SHOULDN'T hang up on Jon when he calls... Just for that he may not call you for 5 months! :)

Debi said...

Love the nativity. :) I can't believe you still wrap up all those books! :) I expect you to be very trim and fit next time I see you, Sis..... :) Happy New Year! PS Josh looks so cute cutting down the tree and looking at his scouting shadow box. :)

Thompson Tales said...

I love your tradition of the Christmas books. I also love the memory box that you made for Josh, I should do that for my boys!! Hope your New Year brings you much joy and happiness!!