Thursday, December 13, 2007

3rd Annual Esther Drew Memorial Scrabble Tournament

I only took 2 pictures, but this tells it all!! From right to left: Aunt Adele, Jane, Aunt Sue and myself in our Santa sweatshirts Jane made for us several years ago. It's fun when we can all get together and wear our shirts!!
I didn't hear a final count on attendance, but it was well attended!! Cousin Tim Lum joined us for the first time this year. It was held in Oregon (Beaverton I think) at David and Sarah Lum's house. We ate yummy soups made by different people, as well as breads, veggies and delicious snickerdoodle cookies. (Grandma Drew's recipe)The way it works is everyone sits at a table that has a scrabble game. We played 2 games this year. After the first game 2 people from that table move to a different table. In the end there's a handicap and the scores are added from both games combined. This year Carol Sibley, cousin Toms wife won. Debi sent little black coin purses as prizes since Grandma always carried a little black coin purse. David made a croetched piece as a prize as well. I took a picture of a board while we played, because Grandma would always say "Now isn't that an interesting board...we need to take a picture of it". SO...this time I did Grandma....in your honor!!!

3 comments:

Debi said...

Hey, I have one of those sweatshirts, too!!! I didn't realize I was a part of a SET!!! I guess next year when I'm finished with my school, I should come up there and go to the Scrabble Tournament! :)

I do remember Grandma Drew always saying, "That's an interesting board." She loved to look at words. She was such a word person :) After she said that, she would always mention that when she played with the "Lum children" that they always made the longest words and things she would have never thought of herself! I love Grandma and am so glad she was MY grandma!! Thanks for sharing about GRANNY'S SCRABBLE TOURNAMENT!!

Amanda said...

What a great thing to do:)

Kristie said...

What a great tradition! Whenever I see a scrabble game I think of Grandma!