Sunday, March 13, 2011

The IKEA Experience

We have been busy doing some much needed home improvements for the past month or so. After painting Jon's bedroom (in preparation for his greatly anticipated homecoming), we also painted our bedroom and bathroom. Our room had not been painted in 22 years....so it was about time. We also needed to move some furniture around and get Josh a new dresser. He's into all the black furniture these days....SO....we headed off to IKEA last Monday night for FHE. It was our FIRST IKEA experience. I'm sure most of you have been, but I'm not into shopping unless I have to be, so we had never been there. If you have not been there, it is an interesting experience. To have an IKEA experience you follow these arrows through a huge showroom floor. There, they have displayed anything and everything you need to buy. Entire households are set up with furniture, bedrooms, closets, and even kitchens and laundry rooms!! These things are European made...appliance brands I have never heard of. BUT...you don't buy the things there. You write down the number of the item you want and then after you have walked for what seems miles, you come out into a food court. Of course, we had to have dinner, so we had Swedish meatballs and other things. Then, you go downstairs into a huge warehouse where everything is stored. We chose our item number, picked it up in the warehouse then checked out at the registers. We got home in time for Josh and Richard to put it together and now Josh is in heaven in his "matching" room. I would never have thought it was so easy to build a dresser (with instructions of course)
It seemed to go together in a snap!!
I laughed at Josh's building techniques:)
He seems very pleased:)
After cleaning out the old dresser, he went from 5 drawers down to 3...and still has room:)
Our first IKEA experience was fun and now I know what to expect next time we go there:)

4 comments:

Debi said...

I LOVE Josh's new dresser!!! The guys did a great job of putting it together. I wish you'd show a picture of your newly painted bedroom! :) I could almost see the bathroom redecorated, too... :) We have an IKEA here and although I have never bought anything there, I have eaten at the food court (with Melissa...after a band solo and ensamble when she was in high school. It took us hours to check out the whole place and she kept complaining her feet hurt. Mike recently went with me throughout the whole store for the first time, too. He liked it but we didn't find anything we wanted. :)Much thanks for posting a new face on the blog. Josh is so much cuter.

Shelly's Space said...

I haven't done pictures of the rest because it's not done. It takes so much time and I have been really busy...and it doesn't help that I take forever just to pick out the soap dispenser for the bathroom!! Nope, haven't made up my mind on those. Now I know why I never change things...I'm too indecisive!!

Kristie said...

I like the new dresser!! I have to agree that IKEA is a whole experience in and of itself. I have never eaten at the food court though. There has always been too long of a line. :) I can't wait to see pictures of the other rooms too!

Melissa said...

That's wonderful! Austin and I just bought some new dressers at IKEA too, and they were also so easy to put together! (I loved that about them!) I agree about the walking forever, it is so easy to get lost in that store, it makes me feel claustrophobic sometimes! I'm glad that everyone was happy with the new dresser and shopping experience! :)